Including vegetables in your meals is very important for your health. Vegetables are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants among other health benefits. Existing research shows that people who consume vegetables regularly have a lower risk of developing diseases. Most people prefer growing their own vegetables to enjoy cooking meals from a fresh harvest. The best thing about growing vegetables is that you can enjoy huge yields from a small garden space. You only need to apply smart tactics to enjoy huge yields. Among these tactics is fertilizing vegetables. Applying the best fertilizer for vegetables is a sure way of growing healthy vegetables with bigger yields.
Vegetables are heavy feeders. They require a lot of nutrients and minerals for healthier growth and bigger yields. Feeding them with the right fertilizer will give you delicious vegetables. Thus, you should only apply a fertilizer that’s specially made for feeding vegetables. There’re several fertilizers to choose from. Some are organic while others are synthetic. But how will you know the right one? This is where our reviews and buyer’s guide come in. Read on for detailed reviews and a buyer’s guide on the top 8 fertilizer for vegetables in today’s market.
Quick Comparison Table
|Fertilizer for Vegetables||Fertilizer Analysis||Our Rating||Price|
|Miracle-Gro 3002610 Shake ‘N Feed 4.5 lb.||10-5-15|
|Fox Farm FX14049||Tiger Bloom: 2-8-4 Grow Big: 6-4-4 Bug Bloom: 0.01-0.3-0-7|
|J R Peters 52024||20-20-20|
|Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fertilizer 36 Oz||2-3-1|
|Miracle-Gro Performance Organics 2.5 lb.||9-2-7|
|Dr. Earth Organic 5||4-6-3|
|Jobe’s Organics 9026||2-5-3|
|Check price||Osmocote Smart-Release 8 lb||14-14-14|
Top 8 Fertilizer for Vegetables
If you’ve been growing vegetables for some time now, you probably know they require the right fertilizer for bigger harvests. If you’re just starting out, you might be confused about the best option. There’re many options available in the market, making it challenging to find the right option. We’ve prepared these reviews to assist you in figuring out the best products.
1. Miracle-Gro 3002610 Shake ‘N Feed4.5 lb.
Miracle-Gro boasts of being a leading manufacturer of gardening products. Its broad range of fertilizer productsis popular for reliability. The Miracle-Gro 3002610 Shake ‘N Feed fertilizer is specially formulated to feed vegetables with essential nutrients. It’s also a great plant food for fruits.
- Long-term feeding-The fertilizer comes in the form of granules. The granules release micronutrients gradually into the soil. It will keep feeding the soil and vegetables for a period of up to three months. This means that a single application will go a long way before reapplying the fertilizer.
- Feeds microbes– This fertilizer is unique in that it contains special natural ingredients including earthworm castings, kelp, bone meal, and feather meal. These ingredients feed beneficial microbes in the soil. In turn, the microbes break down the fertilizer ingredients into readily-available nutrients that are easier for uptake by the roots.
- A special blend of micronutrients-The fertilizer contains a special blend of micronutrients comprising 10 percent nitrogen, 5 percent phosphorous, and 15 percent potassium. This formula stimulates stronger growth in vegetables and increased yields. It also promotes the development of a better root network for increased water uptake.
- Rich in calcium-Another benefit of this fertilizer is that it’s rich in calcium. Calcium assists vegetables to develop stronger cell walls. Consequently, yourvegetables will produce long-lasting and high-quality yields.
- Ideal for use in containers -If your compound has limited space for a vegetable garden, you can simply grow your favorite vegetables in containers. Luckily, this fertilizer is safe for use in containers. It’ll assist you to grow healthier yields with more yields in containers.
- Nourishes below and above the soil
- Prevents disorders in edibles
- Doesn’t require premixing with water
- Doesn’t require frequent application
- Increases the size of vegetables
- Can burn seedlings
- It’s dangerous to pets
The Miracle-Gro 3002610 Shake ‘N Feed 4.5 lb is most ideal for use in containers and for enriching the soil with organic ingredients.
2. Fox Farm FX14049
Fox Farm FX14049 comes in a pack of three special fertilizers, with each bottle containing 32 oz. of a liquid formula. Each product in this pack contains a special formula. Together, the products feed vegetables with nutrients that promote healthier growth.
- Promotes greener growth– The Fox Farm Grow Big plant food in this pack of three contains 6 percent nitrogen, 4 percent phosphorous, and 4 percent potassium. This special blend promotes greener foliage for enhanced photosynthesis. It’ll allow you to harvest healthier leafy green vegetables.
- Promotes healthier roots– The Fox Fam Big Bloom fertilizer in this pack contains 0.01 percent nitrogen, 0.3 percent phosphorous, and 0.7 percent potassium. It’s ideal for application throughout the growing season. It encourages root systems to recover from the dormancy experienced during winter. That way, roots grow healthier for enhanced uptake of water and nutrients.
- Premium concentrates– All three products contain premium quality concentrates. Most notably, Fox Fam Big Bloom contains a special concentrate derived from earthworm castings and bat guano. Bat guano works as a natural fungicide. It also controls nematodes. Bat guano also speeds up the decomposition process of compost. The earthworm castings contained in Big Bloom feeds microbes to enhance the availability of essential nutrients.
- Increases buds and blooms– Fox Fam Tiger Bloom contains 2 percent nitrogen, 8 percent phosphorous, and 4 percent potassium. This special formula stimulates the growth of stronger vegetables. It also stimulates the development of abundant blooms and buds. As a result, it increases yields.
- Ultra-potent– The fertilizers in this pack contain an ultra-potent formula. The potent nature of the fertilizers makes them to start feeding plants as soon as they are applied. That way, your vegetables will grow faster.
- Encourages root cycling
- Fast-acting formula
- Promotes lush vegetative growth
- Contains trace minerals
- Great for all fruiting and flowering plants
- Higher price range
- Can easily kill young plants
The Fox Farm FX14049 pack of three fertilizer products is most suitable for use in mature vegetables and late-season vegetables, fruits, and flowering plants.
3. J R Peters 52024
This fertilizer from J R Peters is among the best fertilizer for vegetables. It’s formulated to work as all-purpose plant food. This means that it’s safe for feeding all types of plants, including your favorite vegetables. It comes in a bucket measuring 1.5 pounds.
- Balanced formula– One of the main outstanding benefits of this fertilizer is that it comes in a well-balanced formula. It contains 20 percent nitrogen, 20 percent phosphorous, and 20 percent potassium. The balanced formula makes it offer all-round growth in all types of vegetables and other plants.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor plants– Whether you’ve grown vegetables indoors or outdoors, you can safely feed them with this fertilizer. Using it to feed indoor plants will keep the leaves green, especially when growing leafy greens.
- Rapid growth– Another major benefit of this fertilizer is that it promotes rapid growth in vegetables. It stimulates plants to develop larger leaves. Larger leaves will increase the rate of photosynthesis for enhanced growth.
- Feeds through leaves and roots– Upon mixing the fertilizer with water, you can either feed your vegetables through the leaves or the roots. Its ingredients can be absorbed by the roots and directly through the leaves for faster results.
- Water-soluble– The fertilizer comes in the form of fine granules. It dissolves completely in water without leaving any residue. This makes it easier to feed plants evenly with a lower risk of overfeeding theplants.
- Proven performance
- Promotes greening in leaves
- Contains trace elements
- Comes with instructions on mixing and application
- A measuring spoon is included
- Requires frequent application
- Requires a lot of patience to see results
If you’re looking for an all-purpose fertilizer to feed vegetables and other types of plants, then consider this J R Peters 52024 fertilizer.
4. Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fertilizer 36 0z
This fertilizer from Neptune’s Harvest contains top-quality organic ingredients. It’s ideal for feeding several types of plants including vegetables, flowers, fruits, lawns, and houseplants among other types of plants.
- Premium ingredients– One of the main aspects of this fertilizer is that its ingredients are sourced from premium natural ingredients. The ingredients are sourced from fresh fish and seaweed. It doesn’t contain any synthetic ingredients.
- Encourages stronger growth– If your plants look weak, it’s likely they’re lacking sufficient nutrients. This fertilizer contains essential nutrients that encourage the growth of stronger foliage. It also encourages more colorful growth in vegetables and other plants.
- Easy to use– Another major benefit of this fertilizer is its ease of use. It comes with simple instructions on how to apply the fertilizer depending on the kind of plants you want to feed. Besides, it’s soluble in water for easier mixing.
- Can be applied in several ways– The fertilizer is formulated for easy application. You can apply it using a drip line, sprayer, or by hand. You can choose to apply it directly on the leaves for faster feeding or into the soil for gradual feeding.
- Extensive coverage– This fertilizer covers a large area when mixed as directed. One container containing 32 Oz of the fertilizer can make up to 32 gallons for outdoor use and 64 gallons for houseplants. The entire amount can cover an area of approximately 2000 square feet.
- It’s organic certified
- Longer lasting foliage and yields
- Promotes the growth of plentiful blooms
- Can be used in containers
- Revives weakened plants
- Has a foul smell
- The lid doesn’t close tightly enough
Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fertilizer 36 Oz is perfect for feeding all kinds of vegetables and other plants, especially for an organic gardener.
5. Miracle-Gro Performance Organics 2.5 lb.
The Miracle-Gro Performance Organics fertilizer is one of the most reliable fertilizers for vegetables, thanks to the multiple benefits its ingredients offer. It’s formulated as an all-purpose fertilizer to feed any kind of plants, especially vegetables and herbs. You can also use it as a fertilizer for flowers.
- Quick results-The fertilizer comes in the form of granules. The granules start releasing nutrients as soon as you mix them into the soil and water the soil. Their fast-acting formula allows for visible results within a few days of application.
- Shaker bottle design-The bottle containing the fertilizer is designed to allow for easy application. You only need to open the cap and shake the bottle to start applying the granules. This bottle design makes it easier to apply the fertilizer in both container and in-ground plants.
- Bountiful harvests– There’s nothing as great as getting huge harvests when planting edibles. This fertilizer is rich in essential nutrients including 9 percent nitrogen, 2 percent phosphorous, and 7 percent potassium. These nutrients boost more growth in vegetables for bountiful harvests.
- All-natural formula– Another wonderful aspect of this fertilizer is that it’s made of purely natural ingredients. This makes it ideal for organic gardening such that you’ll enjoy cooking healthier and tasty vegetables. Its organic formula also makes it friendly to the environment.
- Long-term feeding– These fertilizer granules release nutrients gradually for a period of four to six months. This means that you’ll only reapply it after every four to six weeks for the best results. Its long-term feeding nature makes it less effortless to use the fertilizer.
- Affordable price range for the amount
- Can be used in containers
- Great for application when planting new seedlings
- Low risk of burning plants when used appropriately
- Doesn’t require premixing with water before application
- It tends to attract dogs
- It attracts fungus gnats when used in houseplants
The Miracle-Gro Performance Organics 2.5 lb fertilizer is suitable for fast results with long-term feeding, especially for lovers of organic gardening.
6. Dr. Earth Organic 5
Just like its name suggests, this product is an organic fertilizer. It’s among the best fertilizer for vegetables. It’s specially formulated for feeding vegetables and herbs with essential nutrients. Its formula comprises 4 percent nitrogen, 6 percent phosphorous, and 3 percent nitrogen.
- Makes vegetables tastier– The organic ingredients in this fertilizer stimulate vegetables to produce healthier yields. By feeding your vegetables with this fertilizer, you’ll enjoy eating tasty and more nutritious vegetables grown organically.
- Purely organic– This fertilizer contains pure organic ingredients. Its ingredients are derived from fish meal, bone meal, fishbone meal, feather meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, kelp flour, potassium sulfate, and rock phosphate. Also, it doesn’t contain sewage sludge and chicken manure. The fertilizer is also free of synthetic ingredients.
- Rich in pro-biotic– Another major benefit of this fertilizer is that it contains several pro-biotic ingredients. For instance, it contains beneficial soil microbes that work by regulating the availability of essential nutrients to plants. They break up complex substances into readily available nutrients. The fertilizer also contains mycorrhizae that work by increasing the uptake of nutrients and water by the roots.
- Exceptional results– Once applied as directed, the fertilizer starts feeding the plants immediately. The granules release nutrients quickly upon watering the soil. At the same time, nutrients are released gradually for several months. This guarantees exceptional and long-term results.
- Increases plant performance– The fertilizer contains important trace elements that increase plant performance. The fertilizer also enhances the tolerance of vegetables to harsh conditions such as drought and diseases. This allows the plants to survive through harsh seasons.
- It doesn’t contain GMOs
- Rich in calcium
- Contains humic acids
- Premium quality ingredients
- Increases yield
- Forms mold in potted plants
- It’s smelly, making it challenging to use indoors
Dr. Earth Organic 5 fertilizer is most suitable for improving soil conditions in all types of soil for enhanced water and nutrient uptake.
7. Jobe’s Organics 9026
Jobe’s Organics is yet another popular manufacturer of garden products. The Jobe’s Organics 9026 fertilizer comes in the form of granules. It contains a rich blend of natural ingredients that encourage optimal growth and production in vegetables.
- OMRI listed– You can rest assured that you’re investing in a truly organic fertilizer when you choose this fertilizer. Its OMRI listed for being purely organic. Its organic certification means that it doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals.
- Contains special Biozome– This fertilizer is unique in that it contains special Jobe’s Biozome. Jobe’s Biozome is a patented blend of highly active microorganisms that break down nutrients into forms that can be absorbed more easily and quickly by the roots for faster results.
- Enhances soil conditions– Another benefit of this fertilizer is that it improves soil conditions in the long term. It contains special ingredients that make the soil and plants tolerate drought and other tough conditions during the growing season. It also makes the soil and plants to resist diseases and insects.
- Increased harvests– The fertilizer contains 2 percent nitrogen, 5 percent phosphorous, and 3 percent potassium. This blend of nutrients stimulates vegetables and tomatoes to bear more fruits. That way, you’ll enjoy increased harvests from your vegetable garden.
- Great for all growing stages– Another benefit of this fertilizer is that it’s safe for use during all vegetable growing stages. For instance, you can use it to prepare the soil before planting. You can also use it when planting seeds and new plantings. It’s also ideal for feeding established vegetables and other edible plants.
- Easy to apply
- Fast-acting fertilizer formula
- Contains trace elements
- Affordable price range
- Won’t burn plants when applied appropriately
- Causes fungus to grow in houseplants
- Attracts flying insects
If you’re working under a tight budget and looking for an affordable yet effective organic fertilizer, then you won’t go wrong with this Jobe’s Organics 9026 fertilizer.
8. Osmocote Smart-Release 8 lb
Osmocote is popular for its Smart-Release series of fertilizers. This fertilizer is specially made to feed vegetables and flowering plants with nutrients throughout the growing season. It comes in the form of special granules that release nutrients when needed most.
- Long-term nutrient release– This fertilizer is made to feed vegetables and flowering plants for a period of up to four months. The nutrients are encapsulated in special granules. The granular coating allows water to penetrate the capsule to dissolve nutrients and release them to the soil and plants. This allows for long-term feeding since nutrients are only released during the growing season.
- Easy to use– The fertilizer is very easy to apply. You don’t have to mix it with water before application. You just need to apply the right amount of granules and water the plants regularly. Also, the fertilizer doesn’t require frequent application, making it easier to use.
- Encourages vigorous growth-The fertilizer encourages stronger growth in vegetables to enable them to survive harsh conditions. It also encourages vegetables to produce healthier harvests in larger volumes. Besides, it promotes faster growth and development.
- Increases flavor– Some vegetables are mainly loved due to their flavor and aroma. This fertilizer will be an added benefit for anyone who loves eating vegetables for the flavor they add to meals. The fertilizer stimulates vegetables to produce flavorful yields.
- Rich in essential nutrients– Additionally, this fertilizer is rich in essential nutrients. It contains 14 percent nitrogen, 14 percent phosphorous, and 14 percent potassium. It will enrich the soil with a rich blend of nutrients for healthier growth of vegetables.
- Ideal for feeding perennials
- Promotes the development of stronger roots
- 1 pound covers an area of up to 40 square feet
- Promotes colorful blooms in flowering plants
- Not ideal for potted plants
- The granules leave behind non-biodegradableplastic capsules
If you like growing perennial vegetables, this Osmocote Smart-Release plant food will be your best choice.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Fertilizer for Vegetables
Type of fertilizer
Fertilizers for vegetables are available in different types. Some are organic while others are synthetic. You can consider organic fertilizers if you want to enjoy a healthier yield. They’re sourced from natural ingredients, making them safe for your health and the environment. Organic fertilizers such as worm castings area great choice since they stimulate plant growth and help the soil to retain moisture. Organic fertilizers are great in that you can hardly overuse them.
You can also consider synthetic fertilizers. They’re made from artificial ingredients. They’re often fast-acting for faster growth and development. Some are specially formulated to release nutrients gradually over several months. However, synthetic fertilizers can easily burn your vegetables if used excessively.
When comparing different fertilizer brands, it’s important to check their fertilizer analysis, often referred to as NPK ratio. It represents the amount of essential nutrients in a fertilizer, which includes nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. Some vegetables work best with fertilizers havinga balanced NPK ratio while others need a higher potassium content. For instance, leafy greens require more nitrogen than other nutrients. Trace elements such as calcium, zinc, and magnesium are an added advantage.
Liquid vs. granular fertilizers
Fertilizers for vegetables are available in either liquid or granular form. Liquid fertilizers often deliver quicker results than granular fertilizers. They’re mixed with water before application, making them more readily available for uptake by plants. However, they only feed vegetables for a short time. Thus, they require more frequent application, which can be quite tedious.
On the other hand, granular fertilizers are often applied directly to the soil, followed by regular watering. Granular fertilizers are typically formulated to release nutrients gradually over a long time. This makes them slow-acting but they require less frequent application. Thus, they’re less tedious to use.
Suitable application environment
Vegetables are typically grown in the ground and in containers. Some can also be grown indoors. Different fertilizers are suitable for application in different growing environments. Some fertilizers are ideal for feeding vegetables grown in both containers and gardens. When shopping, ensure the fertilizer you’re choosing is suitable for feeding vegetables in the environment you’re growing them. For instance, if you’re growing vegetables indoors, consider an odor-free fertilizer and one that doesn’t attract insects. Fertilizers with strong odors are more suitable for feeding vegetables grown outdoors.
Stage of vegetable growth
Some fertilizers are formulated to feed vegetables in all growing stages while others are only suitable for use during specific growth stages. It’s especially important to be careful when choosing a fertilizer for feeding new seeds or seedlings. Choosing the wrong fertilizer can burn and kill new plantings. If you have a combination of young and mature vegetables, then consider a fertilizer that’s ideal for feeding both.
Before deciding on the fertilizer to buy for your vegetables, you can have your soil tested to know the nutrients it needs most. This will assist you to know the right NPK ratio to consider. Also, consider the factors we’ve outlined. Use the best fertilizer for vegetablesto grow healthy vegetables and enjoy huge yields. Our reviews have covered the best options available out there. Thus, we hope you’ll find it easier to make a more informed decision after going through our reviews.