Maintaining a healthy and green lawn takes a lot of effort. Fertilizing your dull-looking grass can transform the lawn into a beautiful, green outdoor space. Grass, just like other plants, requires certain nutrients to grow healthy and maintain a deep green color. However, you need to apply the best fertilizer for grass to achieve this goal.
When shopping for fertilizer for your Bermuda grass, or any other type of grass you’ve grown, you’ll come across several types and brands of fertilizers. Regardless of the type or brand of the fertilizer, every fertilizer has an NPK ratio. This ratio represents the amount of nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium in the fertilizer formula.
Essentially, grass requires a higher amount of nitrogen than other nutrients to grow greener throughout its growing season. Phosphorous is not necessary to apply on grass. The role of phosphorous is to boost root growth. Grass has short roots and doesn’t requirea lot of phosphorus. Potassium is necessary since it assists in protecting grass against drought and diseases. Thus, ensure the fertilizer you’re choosing for grass has a high nitrogen content. Also, the climate of your area may determine the ingredients required.
Now that you have an idea about the basic nutrients in fertilizers, you can proceed to shop for a fertilizer for your lawn. While shopping, you’ll come across several brands of fertilizers for grass. But how will you know the best brand? We’ve prepared this guide to assist you to choose the best fertilizer brand for grass.
Quick Comparison Table
|Product Name||NPK Ratio||Our Rating||Price|
|Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK||16-4-8|
|Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food||20-0-8|
|Safer Brand 9334 Lawn Restore Fertilizer||9-0-2|
|Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb.||30-0-6|
|Scotts Green Max Lawn Food- 10,000 sq. ft.||27-0-2|
|Simple Lawn Solutions 32 oz. w/Sprayer||6-19-0|
|Superior Nitrogen & Potash 15-0-15 NPK- Lawn Food||15-0-15|
|The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Premium Organic Fertilizer||7-1-2|
Top 8 Fertilizer for Grass
It’s very important to choose a fertilizer for grass wisely. If you feed your grass with the wrong fertilizer, it might burn or die off rather than growing greener. You can avoid such problems by taking some time to do thorough research on different brands and types of fertilizers for grass. We’ve made it easier for you by reviewing the top 8 fertilizers for grass. Check out the reviews below for the best options available today.
1. Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK
The Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK fertilizer from Simple Lawn Solutions comes as a 32 ounce concentrated liquid fertilizer with a sprayer bottle design. Its formula is blended with high-quality ingredients.
- Complete formula– The formula in this fertilizer makes it a complete lawn food. It has an NPK ratio of 16-4-8, meaning that it has all the micronutrients that grass requires to thrive. Most importantly, the high nitrogen content in the formula will make your grass greener.
- Feed grade ingredients– The fertilizer also contains top-quality feed grade ingredients. These ingredients include seaweed and fish. They’re blended to nourish the lawn for healthier growth and greener coloring.
- Easy application– Another top benefit of this fertilizer is its ease of application. You only need to attach a regular garden hose to the feeder bottle. The concentrate will mix automatically with water for more accurate mixing. Thus, you won’t have to do any calculations, thanks to the feeder bottle that comes with the fertilizer.
- Universal application– You can apply this fertilizer on virtually all types of grass. It’s safe for use on grass such as Bermuda grass, Ryegrass, Zoysia, Kentucky bluegrass, and St. Augustine among others.
- Sufficient coverage– A single bottle of this 32-ounce fertilizer can cover a lawn of up to 3,200 square feet. Thus, it’s sufficient to cover most standard lawns, making it an economical fertilizer.
- Pure and clean micronutrients
- Fast results
- Eliminates brown patches
- Thickens grass
- Provides energy for enhanced root strength and growth
- Sometimes, the sprayer bottle fails to dispense the fertilizer
- Has a funny smell
The formula in this Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK fertilizer makes it suitable for application on all types of grass.
2. Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food
The formula in this Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food works as a 2-in-1 product. It’ll feed your lawn with essential micronutrients while protecting the grass from lawn bugs. One packet of the fertilizer weighs 13.35 pounds and can cover an area of up to 5,000 square feet.
- Rich in nitrogen– The fertilizer comes with an NPK ratio of 20-0-8. It contains 20 percent nitrogen. The high nitrogen content will boost healthy grass growth to eliminate dry and dull patches and fill them with green, thick grass.
- Insect control– Ever sat on your lawn to relax only for insects of all kinds to destroy the moment? You can deal with lawn bugs by applying this fertilizer to your lawn. It contains ingredients that kill and keep away insects such as ants, fleas, spiders, fleas, crickets, and ticks among others.
- Protection against drought– This lawn food keeps grass protected from the stresses that come with summer such as drought and excessive heat. It works by strengthening the grass and enhancing its ability to uptake nutrients and water. That way, the grass can survive through a hot summer.
- Gentle action– The formula in this lawn food and insect controller is designed to work gently on all types of grass. Thus, you can rest easy knowing that it can’t burn your lawn. This also makes it suitable for application throughout the entire summer season.
- Effortless feeding– Another great aspect of this lawn food is that it’s easy to apply to the lawn. You’ll simply apply it to a dry lawn and water it sufficiently. Once watered, the fertilizer gets activated in readiness to release nutrients to the grass and eliminate bugs.
- Affordable pricing
- Covers 5,000 square feet
- Works fast enough
- Makes the lawn look fuller
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t boost root growth
- Only suitable for application during summer
If you’re struggling with insects on your lawn and you also want to make it greener and fuller, then this Scotts Turf Builder SummerGuard Lawn Food is your best bet.
3. Safer Brand 9334 Lawn Restore Fertilizer
This fertilizer from Safer Brand is one of the best fertilizer for grass, thanks to its rich nutrients, especially nitrogen and potassium. It contains 9 percent nitrogen and 2 percent potassium. It doesn’t contain any phosphorous in its formula, which is not a necessity for grass.
- Promotes a vigorous root system– For your lawn to thrive, it needs a strong and healthy root system. This is exactly what this fertilizer does. It contains ingredients that encourage the roots to grow stronger and healthier. That way, the grass can thrive under harsh conditions and to allow for enhanced nutrients and water uptake.
- Repairs thin lawns-If your lawn looks thin and dull with several bare and brown spots, then it’s likely that the grass is missing several important nutrients. You can take advantage of this fertilizer’s rich nutrients to repair a thin lawn. Itwill make your grass look fuller and greener by applying it the right way.
- Long-lasting formula-The formula in this fertilizer is designed to stimulate fast but sustainable growth in grass. It uses a slow-release mechanism to release nutrients to grass. That way, your lawn will be fed with essential nutrients for a longer period.
- Pet and children friendly-Although you’ll need to keep your pets and children away from the lawn when applying the fertilizer, they can go back to the lawn to relax or play as soon as you’re done with fertilizing the grass. The formula in the fertilizer is safe for pets and children and won’t harm them if they play on a freshly fertilized lawn.
- Stimulates beneficial microorganisms– The soil is home to numerous essential microorganisms. Grass cannot thrive without these microorganisms. This fertilizer stimulates beneficial microorganisms by enriching the soil. The microorganisms, in turn, make nutrients more accessible to grass for healthier growth.
- Strengthens sod and new seeding
- Strengthens grass to resist diseases
- Non-burning formula
- Assists in alleviating stress conditions
- Covers up to 6,250 square feet
- It’s dusty when applying
- Has a strong smell
Are you struggling to repair your thin lawn? If so, this Safer Brand 9334 Lawn Restore Fertilizer won’t disappoint as it’s specially formulated to thicken thin lawns.
4. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb.
The Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Foodis yet another nitrogen-rich fertilizer for grass. It’s available in a 5-pound container and can comfortably cover an area of up to 7,200 square feet when applied using a Miracle-Gro garden feeder.
- 30 percent nitrogen– One of the areas where this fertilizer leads is its high nitrogen content. It contains 30 percent nitrogen in its NPK formula of 30-0-6. Thus, it’s a great fertilizer for making a lawn look greener.
- Rich in iron– Another important ingredient in this fertilizer is iron. Its rich iron content also stimulates the grass to develop a deep, green color. Thus, don’t struggle with a pale lawn while this fertilizer can transform it into a bright, green lawn.
- Safe feeding-Some fertilizers are extremely toxic and can easily burn your grass. Luckily, the formula in this fertilizer is non-toxic. It’s safe for application on all types of grass. It won’t burn your grass as long as you apply it as directed by the manufacturer. Also, it won’t burn other plants that may accidentally get fed with the fertilizer.
- Quick results– This fertilizer delivers fast results when applied with a Miracle-Gro garden feeder. It’s able to show results within a few days upon application. It’s absorbed through grass blades and roots for faster action and results.
- Easy to mix– If you’re using a Miracle-Gro feeder, you’ll simply fill it with the fertilizer, attach a garden hose, set the sprayer, and start spraying. You can also apply it with a regular watering can by mixing one tablespoon of the fertilizer with a gallon of water.
- Pocket-friendly price range
- Water-soluble formula
- Instant feeding
- Ideal for application during spring and summer
- Can be used on newly seeded lawns
- You may have to buy a Miracle-Gro feeder
- The packages inside the container rip open and spill easily
The Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb fertilizer is a great choice for application on both newly seeded and established lawns to make them fuller and greener.
5. Scotts Green Max Lawn- 10,000 sq. ft.
Scotts is a leading manufacturer of lawn care products. You’ll hardly fail to come across their products when shopping for plant food and lawn fertilizers. This fertilizer from Scotts comes with a rich formula containing 27 percent nitrogen and 2 percent potassium.
- Encourages deep greening– You’re probably shopping for a fertilizer for your grass just to make it look greener and more attractive. In this case, this fertilizer will get the job done within a few days. Its rich ingredients encourage deep greening for a healthy-looking and attractive lawn.
- Dual-action– Another top benefit of applying this fertilizer to grass is its dual-action. It works and a lawn food and iron supplement. It’ll feed your lawn with micronutrients such as nitrogen and potassium for enhanced thickening and greening. It’ll also feed your lawn with iron that enhances photosynthesis.
- Non-staining formula– You’ve probably splashed fertilizer on pavers or concrete flooring and they ended up staining. As such, you’ll want to be cautious about the fertilizer you apply next time. This fertilizer from Scotts has a non-staining formula. If mixed properly, it doesn’t stain concrete flooring and pavers if accidentally splashed on them when spraying your grass.
- Universal compatibility– The fertilizer is suitable for application on all types of grass. It’s safe for application during fall, spring, and summer. Thus, it’s ideal for feeding your grass during its entire growing season.
- Non-toxic formula– While some fertilizers are made of toxic chemicals, this fertilizer features a non-toxic formula. Thus, you can proceed to relax on your lawn as soon as you apply it. Also, kids and pets can enter the lawn after application.
- Instant feeding upon application
- Strengthens grass to withstand activity and weather
- Fast greening effect
- Long-lasting formula
- Massive coverage of 10,000 square feet
- Higher price range
- Requires a lot of watering
Scotts Green Max Lawn Food- 10,000 sq. ft. is the best choice for anyone who has a large lawn and wishes to cover the entire lawn with one packet of fertilizer.
6. Simple Lawn Solutions 32 oz. w/Sprayer
Simple Lawn Solutions is yet another leading manufacturer of gardening products. This fertilizer has a special liquid formula with an NPK ratio of 6-19-0, representing 6 percent nitrogen and 19 percent phosphorous.
- Boosts growth– Among the most essential nutrients contained in this fertilizer are nitrogen and phosphorous. Together with other ingredients in the formula, they increase both vertical and lateral grass growth. As a result, any patches on your lawn will fill up with green, healthy-looking grass.
- Rich in humic and fulvic acid– This liquid concentrate fertilizer also contains a blend of humic and fulvic acid. These acids work as chelators. Essentially, they bind different minerals in the soil to make them organic compounds for easier uptake by grass. The acids also allow the soil to preserve more water to tolerate droughtduring summer.
- Multi-purpose fertilizer-You can use this fertilizer for several purposes. It’s suitable for adding to soils with nutrient deficiency. It’s also suitable for repairing lawns and over-seeding projects. Moreover, you can use it to enhance the vigor and health of your grass.
- Sprayer bottle-Another great aspect of this fertilizer is that it comes in a special sprayer bottle. It doesn’t require you to take any measurements when applying it. You’ll only attach a garden hose to the sprayer bottle and spray your lawn.
- Suitable for new lawns– Establishing a new lawn can be quite challenging, especially if the soil has nutrient deficiencies. Luckily, this fertilizer contains ingredients that boost the development of new seeding or sod. That way, your new lawn will be established quickly and mature into a green, healthy lawn.
- Easy application
- Suitable for any type of grass
- Boosts seed germination
- Premium grade ingredients
- Stimulates cell division and elongation
- Insufficient for large lawns
- Takes time to show results
Considering the formula used in this Simple Lawn Solutions 32 oz. w/Sprayer fertilizer, it’s most suitable for boosting lateral and vertical growth. It’s also great for use in new seeding or sod.
7. Superior Nitrogen & Potash 15-0-15 NPK- Lawn Food
This fertilizer from Simple Lawn Solutions is one of the best fertilizer for grass, thanks to its balanced nitrogen and potassium ingredients in its formula. It contains 15 percent nitrogen and 15 percent potassium. It’s available in the form of a liquid concentrate.
- Powerful blend– The powerful blend of nitrogen and phosphorous in this fertilizer intensifies grass growth. Specifically, nitrogen in the fertilizer intensifies greening while potassium intensifies photosynthesis. Potassium also enhances drought tolerance.
- Contains humic acid– The fertilizer contains humic acid. It assists in conditioning the soil to improve the growing environment for grass. It also assists in easing and boosting the transfer of food in the grass cells. Thus, the grass can utilize nutrients more efficiently for healthier and faster growth.
- Premium quality ingredients– All the ingredients in this fertilizer are derived from premium quality sources. Besides nitrogen and potassium, the fertilizer also contains feed grade sulfur. Sulfur stimulates photosynthesis and hardens grass to survive through winter. Besides, sulfur assists grass to metabolize nitrogen for faster greening.
- Enhanced resistance– The ingredients in this fertilizer increase the resistance of grass to heat during summer and cold during winter. Thus, your lawn is less likely to dry during summer or die during winter.
- Suitable for sandy soils– Sandy soils are challenging to fertilize. Most fertilizers get washed off easily in sandy soils. Luckily, this fertilizer is suitable for use in sandy soils. It doesn’t get washed off easily. It’s able to last long in sandy soils to continue feeding your grass with essential nutrients.
- Strengthens grass
- Suitable for all grass types
- Eliminates yellowing and increases growth rate
- Comes with a sprayer bottle
- Tends to leak a little when spraying
- Low coverage
If your grass is showing any signs of deficiency in nitrogen and potassium, then consider applying this Superior Nitrogen & Potash 15-0-15 NPK- Lawn Food to correct the problem.
8. The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Premium Organic Fertilizer
The Andersons fertilizer boasts of being an organic-based grass fertilizer. It’s made of superior quality ingredients that’ll feed your lawn with pure nutrients for stronger and healthier growth.
- Low-dust granules– One of the main shortcomings of most granular or powder fertilizers is being dusty during application. Luckily, this fertilizer is made of low-dust granules. It’s hardly dusty during application. This makes it easier to apply on the lawn.
- Complete formula– Another major advantage of this fertilizer is that it comes in a complete fertilizer formula. It has an NPK ratio of 7-1-2, representing 7 percent nitrogen, 1 percent phosphorous, and 2 percent potassium. As a result, it has all the ingredients required to make your grass grow greener and healthier with a better root system.
- Slow-release feeding– The formula in this fertilizer is specially made to release nutrients slowly. That way, essential nutrients will be available in the soil throughout the growing season. Also, the slow-release mechanism makes it safer to use the fertilizer since there’s a reduced chance of burning the lawn.
- Plant-sourced ingredients– This fertilizer is purely organic. It doesn’t contain any chemical additives. Its organic ingredients are derived from plant sources. Also, it doesn’t contain compost waste and bio-solids.
- Friendly to kids and pets-The non-toxic and organic formula in this fertilizer makes it safe for use where pets and kids are present. Anyone can visit the lawn after application. It’s also friendly to the environment.
- Suitable for use in all climates
- Ideal for all types of grass
- Gives an even application
- Contains amino acids
- Quite pricey
- Tends to develop a foul smell after application
Do you prefer organic fertilizers over chemical fertilizers? If that’s the case, The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Premium Organic Fertilizer is the best option to apply on your lawn.
What Factors Should I Consider To Determine The Best Fertilizer For Grass?
If your lawn has developed dry patches, growing slowly, or the grass is yellowing, then it’s likely that it’s lacking essential nutrients. In this case, you can apply fertilizer to make it thicker, greener, and healthier. You can also fertilize your lawn when adding new seeding or sod. However, how will you determine the right fertilizer for your lawn? Here’re some factors you need to consider to assist you in making the right choice.
1. Available ingredients
One of the main considerations you should make is the nutrients available in the fertilizer. At least, ensure it contains nitrogen and potassium. Phosphorous may not be a necessity unless you’re planting new seedlings or sod and you want to boost their root growth. Other ingredients such as sulfur and humic/fulvic acid would be an added advantage.
2. Organic vs. inorganic
Some fertilizers are organic while others are inorganic. Here, your choice should depend on your preferences. Organic fertilizers are made of natural ingredients and tend to be safer and less toxic. However, they may take more time to show positive results. On the other hand, inorganic fertilizers are made of chemicals and require proper usage to avoid burning the lawn. Inorganic fertilizers often show results more quickly than organic fertilizers.
3. Ease of application
If you’re using a granular/powder fertilizer for grass, it’ll be easier to apply it evenly if it’s less dusty. If you’re using a liquid concentrate, ensure it is water-soluble and easy to mix. Some liquid fertilizers come with a sprayer bottle that makes them easier to apply.
4. Suitable type of grass
Different types of fertilizes for grass may be suitable for use on specific types of grass. Ensure the fertilizer you’re choosing is suitable for application on the type of grass you have on your lawn. If you’re not sure about the type of grass on your lawn, or you’ve planted a different type of grass on the front yard and another type on the backyard, then consider choosing a fertilizer that’s suitable for application on all types of grass.
Your lawn will enjoy huge benefits by applying the best fertilizer for grass as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Generally, fertilize grass during its active growth season when it needs high nutrients uptake. Only apply fertilizer during the right time. For instance, grasses that thrive in cool weather such as tall fescue and Kentucky bluegrass should be fertilized during early fall and early spring. On the other hand, grasses that thrive in warm weather such as Zoysia and Bermuda grass should be fertilized during summer. Also, all types of grass should be fertilized late in summer before the appearance of frost once the fall season sets in. By choosing the right fertilizer and applying it the right way at the right time, you’ll enjoy the beauty that comes with green, healthy grass on your lawn.