Bermuda grass is one of the most popularly grown turf. You can easily spot it in most golf courses, athletic fields, and home lawns. It’s highly valued for its ability to tolerate drought and heat. Also, it’s able to withstand heavy usage and recuperates quite fast. It grows best during the warm season. However, it’s a high maintenance grass and requires several nutrients to thrive. By investing in the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass, you’ll give it all the key nutrients it needs to thrive.
Applying fertilizer for Bermuda grass in your lawn will give it the nutrients it lacks. The fertilizer will assist the grass to grow fully and fight off potential diseases and weeds. Essentially, fertilization is required monthly during its peak growth. It often lacks sufficient nitrogen. Thus, it requires fertilizers with a lot of nitrogen content. The amount of nitrogen it requires may depend on the soil conditions and your location. Nevertheless, you can do a home soil test or have the soil tested by an extension officer to know the exact nutrients that your Bermuda grass requires.
Not all fertilizers are suitable for grass. You need to choose the right fertilizer for the best results. If you’re a first-time shopper or the current fertilizer you’re using hasn’t shown any positive results, this review and buyer’s guide is specially created for you. Read on for the top 8 reviews on fertilizer for Bermudagrass.
Quick Comparison Table
|Product Name||Coverage Area (Square feet)||Our Rating||Price|
|Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK 32 Ounce||3,200|
|Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 5,000 sq. ft.||5,000|
|The Andersons 16-4-8 5,000 sq.ft.||5,000|
|Simple Grow Solutions Root Hume 32 Ounce||3,200|
|Super Juice All in One||43,560|
|Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster||3,200|
|Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb.||7,200|
|LawnStar Balanced 16-4-8 Nutrient Liquid Fertilizer||4,000|
Top 8 Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
Looking for a top-quality fertilizer for your Bermuda grass lawn? Look no further. We’ve gathered a list of 8 fertilizers that are ideal for application on Bermuda grass. We’ve reviewed these fertilizers based on their performance. Since there’re dozens of brands to choose from, we’ve made your shopping easier by shortlisting the best options. Read on to make a more informed choice.
1. Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK 32 Ounce
The Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK fertilizer from Simple Lawn Solutions comes as 32 ouncesconcentrated solution. It’s specially formulated to balance your lawn with all the key nutrients that Bermuda grass requires. It’s also ideal for use with any other type of grass.
- Balanced formulation– Just like its name suggests, this fertilizer has a balanced and concentrated solution. It has an NPK ratio of 16-4-8. This means that it has a nitrogen content of 16 percent, phosphorous content of 4 percent, and potassium content of 8 percent. Thus, the formulation has all the crucial nutrients that your Bermuda grass lawn requires.
- Top-quality ingredients– The formulation in this fertilizer is made of top-quality ingredients. Its liquid concentrate is very clean and pure. It’s specially formulated to give your Bermuda grass a deep green coloring, healthy grown, and sufficient root vigor.
- All-natural formulation– If you’re a person who values the environment, you wouldn’t want to pollute it with harmful chemicals. Thus, you’ll be choosy about the kind of fertilizers you can use on your lawn. Luckily, this fertilizer comes with an all-natural formulation. It’s non-toxic such that it doesn’t harm the environment.
- Quick-release formula– A major aspect of this fertilizer that makes it one of the best choices is its quick-release formula. It starts feeding the soil and the grass as soon as it’s applied. As a result, you’ll notice its nourishing effectson Bermuda grass quite quickly.
- Consistent application– You can easily dilute this concentrated fertilizer. Once diluted, the formulation allows for consistent application on the grass. Its effects last for several weeks, making it an economical fertilizer.
- Easy to apply
- Safe for application on all types of grass
- Can be used during both spring and summer
- Can cover an area of up to 3,200 square feet
- Blended with fish and seaweed for enhanced nourishment
- May burn the lawn if not properly mixed
- Not safe for children and pets
The Advanced 16-4-8 Balanced NPK 32 Ounce fertilizer is great for use on new lawns, lawn repair, and treating nutrient deficiencies on lawns planted with Bermudagrass and other types of grass.
2. Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 5,000 sq. ft.
The Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed boast of being one of the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass, thanks to its powerful formulation. Its formulation is designed to feed grass and keep away weeds. Thus, your lawn will be free of weeds that otherwise compete with grass for nutrients. That way, all the soil nutrients will be left for the grass.
- Dual functionality– This fertilizer is formulated to offer dual functionality such that it feeds grass with the nutrients it needs most while keeping weeds away. It has powerful ingredients that control such as clover and dandelion. As a result, it’ll give you a lush lawn.
- Weed grip technology– This grass feed and weed control fertilizer comes with a special weed grip technology in its formulation. It works by gripping the weeds you can see and those you can’t see. That way, it eradicates weeds effectively.
- Strengthens roots– If the roots of your grass are weak, the lawn will look thin and won’t flourish. This fertilizer contains ingredients that target roots to strengthen them and make them grow deeper. As a result, your lawn will grow thicker and outdo weeds. Consequently, weeds will be eliminated.
- Wide coverage– The fertilizer comes as a granular formulation. Just a small amount covers a wide area. In fact, the entire amount in this 6.48 kg bag can cover an area of up to 5,000 square feet. Its wide coverage makes it offer great value for money.
- High nitrogen content-The formulation in this fertilizer has an NPK ratio of 28-0-3. This is to mean that it has 28 percent nitrogen, zero percent phosphorous, and 3 percent potassium. Thus, it’s suitable for soils with a high deficiency of nitrogen. This makes it great for use on Bermuda grass since the grass requires a lot of nitrogen.
- Great nutrient delivery
- High-quality ingredients
- Even coverage and excellent spacing of granules
- Makes the lawn less laborious to maintain
- Ideal for application on most types of grass
- Only ideal for application during spring
- Takes a little longer to start working
If your Bermuda grass is invaded by weeds and looks thin, the Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 5,000 sq. ft. fertilizer will be your best bet to control the weeds and make your lawn look denser and greener.
3. The Andersons 16-4-8 5,000 sq.ft
The Andersons 16-4-8Bermuda grass fertilizer comes in a packet of 18 pounds. It’s capable of feeding a total area of up to 5,000 square feet. It contains 16 percent nitrogen, 4 percent phosphate, and 8 percent potassium.
- Fine particles– The fertilizer comes in the form of particles. The particles are super fine such that you can apply more particles in an area where you’d otherwise use more fertilizer. Their fine nature makes it easier to distribute them evenly on your lawn.
- Long-lasting effect– The nutrients in this fertilizer arereleased into the soil and grass slowly. Thus, a single application can feed the grass for quite a long time. In fact, a single application can feed the grass for up to two months. This makes it quite economical and less laborious to apply.
- Rich in nitrogen– One of the key features that make it one of the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass is its rich nitrogen content. Overall, it has a total nitrogen content of 16 percent. Among this, it contains 1.56 percent ammoniacal nitrogen, 7.64 percent urea nitrogen, 2.8 percent water-insoluble nitrogen, and 4 percent water-soluble nitrogen. Thus, it’ll feed your Bermuda grass with sufficient nitrogen.
- Contains essential acids– The fertilizer comes with essential acids including humic acid and fulvic acid. Humic acid regulates the pH level of the soil by neutralizing both alkaline and acidic soils. It also enhances water and nutrient uptake by Bermuda grass. Fulvic acid boosts nutrient absorption by grass. Together, these acids assist grass to process nutrients efficiently for better growth.
- Rich in micronutrients– Are you struggling to make your grass look dark green? Are you tired of the dull look of your grass? If that’s the case, you’ve landed on the right fertilizer. This fertilizer is rich in iron and other micronutrients. Iron assists in giving the grass a dark green color. As a result, it’ll make your grass look bright and healthy.
- Can be used on sandy soils
- Enhances grass health
- Improves the viability and germination of seeds
- Suitable for all seasons
- Stimulates beneficial microorganisms
- Needs a lot of watering to see results quickly
- Higher price range for the amount
The Andersons 16-4-8 5,000 sq.ft fertilizer is perfect for making Bermuda grass look greener and brighter, thanks to its rich iron content.
4. Simple Grow Solutions Root Hume 32 Ounce
For Bermuda grass to grow healthy and look great, it needs to grow in a healthy soil. This is where this Simple Grow Solutions Root Hume fertilizercomes in handy. It’s formulated to make the soil healthier for a lush lawn.
- Premium acid blend– A major selling point of this fertilizer is its premium acid blend comprising of fulvic and humic acids. Its formulation is highly concentrated and includes liquefied carbon. This form of carbon is sourced from a humate known as leonardite, which is a top-quality form of fulvic and humic acid. This acid blend treats soil for enhanced nutrient uptake.
- Expertly formulated– This fertilizer is expertly formulated for the best results. You can use it on Bermuda grass in both commercial and domestic settings. It’s ideal for use on athletic turf, golf courses, agricultural purposes, and on a home lawn.
- Natural treatment– The formulation in this fertilizer is made to condition and treat the soil naturally. The solution will transform your Bermuda grass into the kind of green grass you’ve always desired to grow. It enhances the rate at which micronutrients are transferred into the grass. Consequently, your grass will grow healthier.
- Rich in organic carbon– For Bermuda grass to flourish, it needs healthy root growth. Take advantage of this fertilizer to encourage healthier development of roots, thanks to its high organic carbon content. Furthermore, the rich organic carbon enhances ion exchange and unlocks more minerals to make them more readily available to the grass.
- Fastens germination rate– If you’re planning to plant Bermuda grass using seeds, consider adding this Root Hume to fasten their germination rate. That way, you can rest assured that your seeds will germinate before the end of the growing season.
- Highly concentrated solution
- High-quality formula
- Treats a wide area
- It’s water-soluble
- Pure and highly active
- Requires regular application
- Tends to clog a sprayer
The Simple Grow Solutions Root Hume 32 Ounce is perfect for use alongside other fertilizer programs, overseeding, seeding, and applying new sod.
5. Super Juice All in One
The Super Juice All in One fertilizer comes as a bag measuring 13.6 pounds. It’s highly concentrated and comes in the form of a dry mix. It can cover an area of up to 43,560 square feet once mixed with water. Thus, it’s a great amount to cover a large lawn for several applications.
- Wide application– One of the aspects that stand out most about this fertilizer is that it can cover an extremely large area. For instance, you can apply it in an NPK ratio of 14-2-4 to cover an acre, which is equivalent to 43,560 square feet. Alternatively, you can mix it in a ratio of 7-1-2 to cover two acres.
- Dry mix– The formulation in this fertilizer comes as a dry mix. It’s specially formulated to dissolve easily in water. You can use a sprayer to apply it on your lawn. This makes it easy to apply it uniformly over a large area.
- Quick absorption-Its formulation allows grass to absorb nutrients with a few hours after application. Generally, you’ll start noticing new growth in your lawn, with the grass becoming greener within a few days. Thus, you won’t wait for a long time before seeing positive results. As a result, this fertilizer is great for application when you need fast results, especially during spring.
- Constant application– If your lawn is sloped, then you may get disappointed by applying a fertilizer only for it to get washed away by rainwater before your Bermuda grass getting any benefits. Luckily, this fertilizer is made of superfine water-soluble materials. It’s absorbed into the soil effortlessly and gets locked underground to work slowly without being washed away.
- Rich ingredients– The fertilizer comes with several micronutrients and minerals. It contains 14 percent nitrogen, 2 percent phosphate, and 4 percent soluble potash. It also contains other important ingredients such as iron, zinc, and magnesium among others. As a result, your Bermuda grass will get all the crucial micronutrients and minerals required for luxuriant growth.
- Easy to mix and apply
- Fully balanced formulation
- Doesn’t have an odor
- Makes grass thicker and greener
- Superfine ground particles
- Higher price range
- Tends to clog some sprayer nozzles
The Super Juice All in One fertilizer stands out for its wide coverage. If you own a large domestic lawn or a commercial lawn planted with Bermuda grass, this fertilizer is the best option for you.
6. Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster
This fertilizer from Simple Lawn Solutions comes as a liquid concentrate amounting to 32 oz. It’s capable of covering a lawn of up to 3,200 square feet. The bottle comes with a sprayer that makes it ready to spray. Thus, you won’t have to buy a separate sprayer.
- Boosts growth– If you want your lawn planted with Bermuda grass to grow taller and thicker, then this is the right fertilizer to apply. Its formulation boosts both lateral and vertical growth. As a result, you’ll enjoy a lawn that looks fuller and healthy.
- Multiple benefits– The fertilizer is formulated to offer multiple benefits to Bermuda grass. You can apply it for new sod or seeding, thanks to its fulvic and humic acid ingredients. It’s also great for application when doinglawn repair or planning a new lawn. You can also use it on a lawn with nutrient deficiency.
- Boosts reactions with other minerals– Besides boosting the growth of your Bermuda grass, this fertilizer also boosts reactions with already existing minerals in the soil or minerals introduced to the soil from other sources. As such, it assists in fighting mineral deficiencies in your lawn.
- Fulvic acid and phosphate concentrate– This fertilizer is specially formulated with a high concentration of fulvic acid and phosphate among other minerals. In fact, it contains 45 percent fulvic acid and 19 percent phosphorus. The fulvic acid in this concentrate boosts root growth for enhanced access to nutrients while phosphate boosts vigor during seedling growth.
- Non-toxic formula– This concentrate comprises of a non-toxic formula. Thus, it’s kids and pets safe. You won’t have to experience the struggle that comes with keeping curious kids and pets away when applying it.
- Great for any type of grass
- Boosts seed germination
- Promotes cell division and elongation
- Boosts the activities of natural enzymes
- Top-quality ingredients
- It tends to spray a little too fast
- Takes a little longer to see results
The Simple Lawn Solutions Extreme Grass Growth Lawn Booster is a perfect fertilizer for boosting the growth of new seeds or sod and increasing the thickness of Bermuda grass.
7. Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb.
The Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food comes in a pack of 5 pounds and is sufficient to feed an area of up to 7,200 square feet. It’s specially formulated to feed your lawn with the nutrients that Bermuda grass needs most to grow greener and thicker.
- Contains chelated iron– One of the reasons that make it one of the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass is its rich chelated iron content. Chelated iron allows Bermuda grass to absorb iron through the roots, even when planted in alkaline soil. It works by binding to metal ions, thereby boosting the availability of iron and other micronutrients to grass.
- Rich in nitrogen– Another reason that makes this fertilizer a great choice is its rich nitrogen content. It comes with an NPK ratio of 30-0-6. This means that it has a nitrogen content of 30 percent. Its rich nitrogen content will make your grass grow greener and thicker within a short time.
- Instant feeding– The formulation in this fertilizer is made for instant feeding by Bermuda grass and all other common types of grass. It’s absorbed by plants quite quickly. This makes it great for reviving a dull lawn without a long wait time.
- Twofeeding methods– You can feed your lawn with this fertilizer using two user-friendly methods. You can feed it with a garden feeder or a watering can depending on your preferences. Each feeding method will only take a few minutes due to the ease of application.
- Feeds lawnsin any condition-This fertilizer is safe for use on lawns of any age and condition. You can use it in an established lawn, a lawn in a poor condition, and a newly seeded lawn. There’re instructions that come with the packet on how to mix the fertilizer with water depending on the type of lawn you want to feed.
- Safe and doesn’t ban the lawn
- Easy to mix and apply to the lawn
- Comes with instructions on how to mix
- Large coverage and fast results
- Lacks phosphorous
- The packaging gets punctured easily
The Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Lawn Food, 5 lb is a great fertilizer for feeding Bermuda grass in soils that have iron deficiency, especially in over-fertilized or waterlogged soil or where the soil pH exceeds 6.5.
8. LawnStar Balanced 16-4-8 Nutrient Liquid Fertilizer
This liquid fertilizer from LawnStar comes in a sprayer bottle. The bottle contains 32 oz of liquid fertilizer. You can apply it to an area of up to 4,000 square feet. It contains all the major micronutrients and minerals required by Bermuda grass for greener growth.
- Balanced formula– One of the features that stand out most in this fertilizer is its balanced formula. It contains all the three key micronutrients needed most by Bermuda grass, which include nitrogen (16 percent), phosphate (4 percent), and potash (8 percent). Thus, your lawn will flourish throughout the growing season.
- Premium ingredients– The formula in this fertilizer is made of premium ingredients. These ingredients are designed to feed grass quite quickly for rapid greening. Also, the ingredients release nitrogen slowly to allow for long-lasting benefits. Besides, the formula comes with bio-stimulant seaweed extract that stimulates growth.
- Hose-end sprayer– Another top feature of this fertilizer is that it comes with a hose-end sprayer. This makes it easy to apply the fertilizer since you won’t have to buy a separate sprayer bottle. The sprayer attachment that comes with the bottle fits a standard garden hose. Furthermore, it’s designed to allow for more accurate mixing of the fertilizer with water.
- Promotes root development– The ingredients in this fertilizer are specially formulated to promote root development. They strengthen the root system such that they’re able to support thicker grass. Also, the fertilizer makes the roots absorb minerals and micronutrients more easily.
- Feeds new and established lawns– Whether you’re planting a new lawn with Bermuda grass or your lawn is already established, this fertilizer is the right choice for lawns of all ages. If your lawn is new, it’ll boost its growth. If your lawn is already established, the fertilizer will make it greener.
- Affordable price range
- Dual-release action
- Great for spring and summer
- Safe for all types of grass
- Not suitable for application in the afternoon
- The dispenser tends to clog
- Non-refillable bottle design
If you’re looking for an affordable fertilizer to stimulate the growth of your Bermuda grass, you won’t go wrong with the LawnStar Balanced 16-4-8 Nutrient Liquid Fertilizer.
How to Choose the Best Fertilizer for Bermuda Grass
Maintaining a lush lawn requires several maintenance practices such as mowing, watering, fertilizing, and weeding. Fertilizing is especially important if you want your grass to grow faster, greener, and thicker. However, you need to use the right fertilizer for the specific type of grass. For instance, if you’ve planted your lawn with Bermuda grass, you need to ensure that the fertilizer is ideal for use on the grass and won’t burn it. Here’re some factors you should consider when shopping for an appropriate fertilizer for Bermuda grass.
1. Ingredients in the formula
To grow thicker and greener Bermuda grass, you need to ensure that the fertilizer you’re choosing contains the essential nutrients that the grass needs. At least, ensure the fertilizer contains nitrogen. Bermuda grass requires high nitrogen intake to become greener. Also, ensure it has phosphorous for stronger roots and potassium to protect the grass from harsh weather elements and diseases.
Extra minerals and micronutrients in a fertilizer would be an added advantage. Elements such as iron, magnesium, copper, and zinc among others boost healthy grass growth. You can have your soil tested to establish its nutrient deficiencies to assist you in determining the best fertilizer ingredients for your situation.
2. Coverage area
You should ensure the fertilizer you choose is sufficient to cover your entire lawn. If one packet or bottle is not enough, then you’ll need to buy several packets or bottles. You can measure the area your lawn covers in square feet to determine the amount of fertilizer to buy. That way, you’ll feed your lawn with sufficient fertilizer for the best results. Buying sufficient fertilizer will ensure that you feed the entire lawn evenly and consistently. Also, there’s no harm to buy an excessive amount since you can apply the remaining amount later on when your lawn needs fertilization. Just ensure you don’t apply excessive or insufficient fertilizer.
3. Type of the fertilizer
Fertilizers are available in two main types, including liquid fertilizers and granule fertilizers. Liquid fertilizers come in the form of a liquid concentrate. As a liquid, they’re absorbed quickly into the ground. However, they require more frequent application and can burn the lawn if applied excessively. Consider a liquid fertilizer that mixes well with water to allow for consistent application. Also, you’ll require a separate spray bottle to apply a liquid fertilizer. You can also find a liquid fertilizer that comes with a spray bottle for automatic mixing and easier application.
On the other hand, granule fertilizers come in the form of particles. Some are a little coarse while others are superfine. Generally, granule fertilizers are absorbed slower than liquid fertilizers. Thus, they require less frequent application but may take a little longer to show results. Also, the chance of burning the lawn with granule fertilizers is lower than with liquid fertilizers.
4. Safety on pets and kids
Some fertilizers contain toxic ingredients that may be harmful to pets and kids. Others contain non-toxic ingredients that are friendly to pets and kids. If you have pets and kids around, preferably choose a fertilizer that’s friendly to pets and kids. If you must use a toxic fertilizer and you have pets and kids around, ensure you keep them away from the fertilized lawn for the recommended duration as indicated on the instructions or fertilizer label. Always read the instruction or label keenly for necessary safety precautions.
5. Application season
Different fertilizers are suitable for application during certain seasons. Some are great for application during summer while others are great for spring or fall. Others can be applied throughout the year. If you want to fertilize your grass during spring or any other specific season, ensure the fertilizer you buy is suitable for application during that season. Just ensure you read the label to apply the fertilizer during the right season for the best results.
If you’ve just planted a new lawn with Bermuda grass, or your lawn is established but looking dull and thin, you can invest in the appropriate fertilizer to boost its growth and make it thicker and greener. However, ensure you choose the right fertilizer and use it according to the manufacturer’s instructions for the best results. Hopefully, you’ll find the best fertilizer for Bermuda grass from our reviews.